EPA APPROVED CHEMICALS AND APPLICATIONS FOR USE AGAINST COVID-19
The purpose of this document is to establish and communicate the standard cleaning protocol for the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Based on what is currently known about the novel coronavirus and similar coronaviruses that cause SARS and MERS, spread from person-to-person with these viruses happens most frequently among close contacts (within about 6 feet). This type of transmission occurs via respiratory droplets. On the other hand, the transmission of novel coronavirus to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented. Transmission of coronavirus occurs much more commonly through respiratory droplets than through fomites. Current evidence suggests that novel coronavirus may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials. Cleaning of visibly dirty surfaces followed by disinfection is a best practice measure for the prevention of COVID-19 and other viral respiratory illnesses in households and community settings.
This protocol specifically addresses services provided by Carpet Tech to treat potentially affected areas but does not replace or diminish the need to maintain best practices for general cleaning and prevention measures that can be performed on a daily basis. The recommendations include but are not limited to routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces (for example tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks) with household cleaners and EPA-registered disinfectants that are appropriate for the surface, following label instructions. Labels contain instructions for safe and effective use of the cleaning product including precautions you should take when applying the product, such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good ventilation during the use of the product.
Treatment services provided by Carpet Tech for the novel coronavirus can be classified as the following:
- Direct Spray
According to all manufacturer’s recommendations, a chemical compound is mixed and sprayed on all necessary surfaces. Surface choices are determined during the assessment phase and agreed upon before treatment begins. This usually includes all high traffic areas and all touchpoints. Proper application rates and dwell times are critical to the success of the treatment. With the proper chemical, a direct spray application does not require wiping or rinsing and leaves no residue.
- Mechanical Wipe
According to all manufacturer’s recommendations, a chemical compound is mixed and sprayed on all necessary surfaces. Surface choices are determined during the assessment phase and agreed upon before treatment begins. This usually includes all high traffic areas and all touchpoints. Proper application rates and dwell times are critical to the success of the treatment. Unlike the direct spray method, mechanical wiping is used after the chemical has had time to treat the desired area.
- Chemical Fog
A chemical fog treatment can be used as a supplement to either of the above treatment methods, but generally is not used as a replacement for the direct spray or mechanical wipe methods. Chemical fog treatments are recommended for HVAC system treatments in addition to the methods above OR a chemical fog treatment can be applied to the entire environment. This method provides treatment for the HVAC system as well as an additional treatment for areas hard to reach using the methods listed above.
- Spray-on Antimicrobial Protectant
Carpet Tech is using a new chemical process that coats surfaces with a protective barrier to prevent the growth of microbes, protecting your home and facility long after initial disinfection is complete.Our CT Shield process uses an EPA approved spray-on antimicrobial protectant* that creates a microbiostatic coating on surfaces to inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria, fungi, mold, and mildew.
*BioShield®75 is a patented spray-on antimicrobial protectant.One end of the BioShield® 75 molecular spikes creates a strong bond with a multitude of surfaces to create a durable protective coating. The other ends are long chains of atoms that rupture the cell walls of microbes. With its mechanical methodology, BioShield® 75 does not create poison-resistant “superbugs”. BioShield® 75 has been found in independent testing to be effective against Staphylococcus aureus, E.coli, various Salmonella strains, black mold, athlete’s foot, skin infections and many other microbes.
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH CARPET TECH
The cleaning process is broken down as follow:
- Assess – we will assess the areas/spaces needing treatment and assemble all necessary info
- Plan - a detailed cleaning plan will be formulated and communicated to all necessary personnel
- Control & Setup – any areas to be treated will be setup as needed with proper control procedures to protect any and all personnel and ensure proper and effective treatment
- Clean & Treat – services will be provided based on the cleaning plan following all manufacturer’s recommendations
- Document – all treatments will include a written proposal prior to cleaning and a summary of all services provided when the work is complete.
Prior to any cleaning procedures, a proper assessment will be performed to determine what action, if any, must be completed by the customer before a treatment can take place. The area must be free of debris and excessive dust. Carpet Tech offers this pre-cleaning as an optional service.
Other site preparation may include, but is not limited to:
- Removal or relocation of paper goods/paper documentation
- Removal or protection of sensitive items
- Ensure proper operation of the HVAC system
- Ensure proper or adequate ventilation when necessary
- Ensure all areas to be treated are accessible
- Ensure all non-Carpet Tech personnel have been evacuated (timelines discussed below)
All treatments will follow the manufacturer’s recommended procedures. These procedures will vary slightly based on application methods, environmental variances, and general site conditions. But in general, the following timelines/access restrictions will be observed:
- ACCESS RESTRICTION DURING TREATMENT – no NON-Carpet Tech personnel will be allowed in the treatment area from the start of ANY treatment to the end of the recommended treatment times.
- The treatment area is defined as the following:
- Any areas sharing the same HVAC system
- Areas immediately adjacent to the treatment area
- If we are treating the first floor of a large multi-level building, the entire first floor must be evacuated during the entire treatment
- The same procedure must be followed when we move to the second floor, third, etc…
- If the building has a built-up air handler and/or shares a ventilation system, the ENTIRE building must be empty during the recommended treatment times.
- The treatment area is defined as the following:
- TREATMENT TIMES
- For either the direct spray method or the mechanical wipe method, a two (2) hour treatment window will be required after ALL treatment is complete before personnel will be allowed back in the space.
- For the chemical fog method, a four (4) hour treatment window will be required after ALL treatment is complete before personnel will be allowed back in the space.
- These time windows start after ALL treatment is complete.
A variety of equipment types will be used to apply chemicals and treat the designated areas. This equipment may include, but is not limited to:
- Ultra-Low Volume (ULV) foggers
- Electrostatic foggers
- Electric sprayers
- Backpack sprayers
- Pump up sprayers
- Microfiber towels
A variety of chemicals could be used for the treatment of the designated areas. MSDS sheets will be provided for all chemicals on-site and the manufacturer’s recommendations will be followed in all cases. Chemicals used for treatment with Carpet Tech will include, but is not limited to:
ProKure 1 – ClO2 Deodorization & Disinfection System
When used as directed, Prokure® V, a chlorine dioxide-generating product, is proven effective as: a disinfectant against methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) (ATCC 33592), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Listeria monocytogenes (ATCC 19111), Trichophyton mentagrophytes (athlete’s foot) (ATCC 9533), vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (ATCC 51299), Salmonella enteric (ATCC 10708), Mycobacterium bovis (TB) (ATCC 35737), and Candida albicans (ATCC 10232); a virucide* against Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1) (HTLV-III), Hepatitis A (HM-175), Herpes Simplex-2 (ATCC VR-734), Rhinovirus type 37 (ATCC VR-1147), Influenza-A virus (ATCC VR-544), Coronavirus (ATCC VR-740), Poliovirus-1 (ATCC VR-1000), Feline Calicivirus (ATCC VR-782), Rotavirus (WA), Canine Parvovirus (ATCC VR-2017), Adenovirus type 5 (ATCC VR-5), Vaccinia Virus (ATCC VR-119), and Norovirus (feline calici used as testing surrogate) (ATCC VR-782); an algaecide (Phormidium boneri); a sanitizer against S. aureus (ATCC 6538), Salmonella typhimurium (MDRS) (ATCC 13311), Klebsiella pneumonia (ATCC 4352), E. coli (ATCC 11229, E. coli O157:H7 (ATCC 43895), and Listeria monocytogenes (ATCC 19111); and a fungicide against Fusarium solani (ATCC 36031), Botrytis Sp and Penicillium digitatum (ATCC 201167); kills odor causing bacteria, mold and mildew.
EPA Approved Treatment:
- Kills mold and mildew
- Kills bacteria, viruses*, mold [and] [fungi] [and/or] [odor-causing bacteria]
- Spray directly onto surface to be treated
- No harsh chemical fumes -or- smell –or odor -and/or- build-up -and/or- residue
- Kill[s] -and/or- eliminate[s] -and/or- disinfect[s] - and/or- destroy[s] - -and/or- attack[s] -and/or- get[s] rid of [99.9% of] [the] bacteria -and/or-[other] germs -and/or- virus[es] -and/or- coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Easy on -or- safe on -or- safe for use on [aluminum] [brass] [ceramic] [chrome] [glass] [linoleum][parquet] [plastic] [polypropylene] [PVC] [granite] [marble] [quartz] [stainless steel] [vinyl]•For direct application•No Wipe, No Rinse, No Residue•Will not harm most hard, nonporous surfaces
- EPA registered for use in all facilities
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with the labeling. Read the entire label and use strictly in accordance with precautionary statements and use.
This product, when used in accordance with Directions on hard, non-porous surfaces such as stainless steel, glass, vinyl, polypropylene, PVC or other hard non-permeable surfaces, is an effective disinfectant, sanitizer, algaecide, tuberculocide, fungicide, general-purpose antimicrobial and surface cleaner. Applications include medical laboratories, hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, diagnostic centers, clinics, first-responder facilities and equipment, veterinary hospitals, medical equipment, pharmaceutical facilities and laboratories, as well as food processing and serving facilities, beverage bottling facilities. The formulation may be applied via mop, sprayer or sponge, with heavily-soiled surfaces pre-cleaned as needed by means of a non-disinfectant cleaning agent. Formula must be applied to ensure visible wetness of surface to be treated. If applied using pressurized sprayer, user must wear NIOSH/OSHA approved respirator and goggles. Heavily soiled surfaces must be pre-cleaned prior to treatment.
DISINFECTANT OR VIRUCIDE* FOR HARD, NON-POROUS SURFACES:
Product must be used with an exposure time of 10 minutes at 100 ppm to disinfect hard surfaces in medical or veterinary facilities to decontaminate Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1), Herpes Simplex-2, methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA), vancomycinresistant Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus aureus, Feline Calicivirus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella enterica, Mycobacterium bovis (TB) Trichophyton mentagrophytes (athlete’s foot), Candida albicans, Listeria monocytogenes, Corona virus, Hepatitis A, Poliovirus-1, Rotavirus, Influenza-A virus, Rhinovirus type 37, Canine Parvovirus, Adenovirus type 5, Vaccinia, and Norovirus. This product must be also used as a virucide* or disinfectant on hard, non-permeable, non-porous surfaces. Dilute to 100 ppm as table above specifies.